(Photo credit: Connie Ann Kirk)
(Photo credit: Unknown)
(Photo credit: Unknown)
As it turned out, I was at the track on the 40th anniversary anyway, but I had made a mental note of the date of Francois Cevert's death at Watkins Glen ever since I read about the accident in more detail in Sir Jackie Stewart's autobiography, Winning is Not Enough (Headline, 2010) in late 2012. I knew I'd want to find a way to be at my "home track" on the anniversary.
No one should have to give his/her life in chasing one's passion, I thought, but it happened so much more often in motor sports in those days. I was haunted by the idea that a sport I've been growing to enjoy watching and writing about more and more is also one for which people give their lives. What does it mean to keep participating in an activity that seems so dangerous (to the layperson, anyway, if not to the racers), I keep asking myself. Why not take up something that is challenging physically and mentally, that takes skill, but is not so costly both in terms of risk to life or limb or in simple, financial expense?
Well. For a new book I'm writing, I am still chasing down answers to those and other questions with racers.
On Sunday, though, a day that started out foggy and hazy and got unseasonably warm (into the 80s), my thoughts were about wanting to pay homage to someone I never knew but whose history had become an important part of my studies of the sport.
Watkins Glen is a track I go to often. The thought of someone dying there doing what I go there to watch is not a comfortable thought to have. Many people I talk to often were at the track that day in 1973. They talked to me about their memories. All were clearly still moved by the thought of that day's events, even though it was 40 years ago.
Most people I talked to on Sunday remembered that the French National Anthem was played after that morning's qualifying session, soon after the accident that, I was told, happened just before noon. That tribute was one way people around the track realized that the rumors of the severity of what may have happened at the esses were, sadly, true.
The drivers accelerate going up the hill at the esses after taking the 90-degree Turn 1 and right-hand sweep. What makes the esses so dangerous? Well, I'll have to find out more about that.
On Sunday, I wanted to find the closest spot possible, or the most appropriate place, to leave my little bouquet of 4 white roses and print-out photo of Mr. Cevert. Outside the protective fencing some distance away, I searched behind the blue Armco barrier at the esses for any "sign" that might still be there. Was there a difference in the fencing from when it had been repaired that might show from the back? Could I tell anything from the trees back there; there had been trees in the background of the horrific archival photo of the accident. Was it at that wooden post? Was it at that patch of fencing where the back of the Armco goes from blue to black?
There were differences in the fencing, but the differences occurred in more than one spot, and of course I had no idea about whether they were from that particular repair in 1973, or some other time. The trees there looked like they did in the picture from 40 years ago -- shouldn't they be bigger now, I wondered? I walked along the track back there for some distance, lost in thought. Should I leave my flowers outside the track, or inside? I walked back. I decided to leave them inside. Cevert was involved in racing as an insider. Even I, writing about the sport and studying it steadily for such a short time by comparison (but now even with media credentials to race events), could no longer call myself totally an outsider.
(Photo: Small tribute at the esses. Connie Ann Kirk.)
Later in the day, I spoke with a lifelong resident of Watkins Glen and racing enthusiast who works with the archives at the International Motor Racing Research Center in town. Independently, he had also brought flowers in tribute. Growing up in Watkins Glen, he and his brother had been to most if not all of the Formula 1 Grands Prix. His older brother was even a local "gofer" for the Stewart/Cevert Tyrrell team back then. Spare parts he had secured at the team's request were on the car, that car. The lifelong resident was kind enough to allow me to go with him to the spot as he remembered it. It was so long ago; he was a teenager then, but his memory seemed strong.
We scrutinized the track from the distance of the spectator area inside the circuit; we studied the Armco, the background. He searched his memory for the landmark he had in mind that was very specific as recently as 2 years ago when he was able to go on the track itself and show the spot to someone from Europe who had come so far, also wanting to find it. Finally, we settled on a spot at his recollection and laid them down. We lingered there, and talked.
Memories can be etched in such a way that they are forever altered. They may dim a bit; the details may get a little blurred around the edges, but the imprint lasts a lifetime. Francois Cevert clearly left an imprint on this sport and in the hearts and memories of those at the Glen that day. He meant a lot to those around the world who followed his racing career and had such high hopes for his future.
From what I have heard and read, he was loved at Watkins Glen and in so many other places, and by so many people. Locals still remember him fondly staying at the Glen Motor Inn where so many of the Grand Prix racers stayed back then, or playing the piano and laughing at the Seneca Lodge where they went to celebrate. I'm so sorry that this track where I now spend so much of my time was so cruel to him (even as it rewarded him for his efforts 2 years earlier with his first and last Formula 1 Grand Prix win). It has been a place of triumph and tragedy for other racers and their families, friends, and colleagues as well.
(Team-mates Francois Cevert and Jackie Stewart in happier days. Credit: Unknown).
Then a strange thing happened: There were amateur races (SCCA) taking place on Sunday. After I laid my flowers, I went back behind the Armco outside the track to think some more and see if my new insights from the kind Watkins Glen native were any more helpful in defining the spot from that side. While I was there, amazingly, a tire apparently broke loose from a race car and flew up high into the catch fencing way over my head, right there. Right then. In the esses. (The catch fencing, by the way, was not there 40 years ago).
To have that happen at that particular moment while I was still so lost in reverie about Cevert's accident, trying to see it in my mind at that very place, was strange indeed. It felt like an echo from the past, an acknowledgment from beyond. At one point, I wondered if my imagination had gone into overdrive so intensely that I'd fantasized the flying tire into being. I went back inside the track and saw a car stopped at the corner station; apparently, the driver was ok. But the danger -- it is still out there.
In watching the video below later on, I saw what looked like a tire flying away in the photograph of Cevert's Tyrrell race car back then, too. If that's true, perhaps this little coincidence of events was a small thank you from beyond, for going there to remember, for searching so hard to find the "exact spot." It seemed to confirm my efforts. Or, at least, my active writer's imagination likes to think of it that way.
In any case, continue to rest in peace, racer Francois Cevert. The motor sports community continues to remember, and those of us somewhat newer to the sport continue to learn about you and offer you and your colleagues our respect.
[Bottom photo above: Trees from perhaps the same cluster or "family" of trees to those shown in the top photo above, behind Cevert's accident).
(Above: Believed to be about here.
Note the Armco is now 3 layers high here instead of the 2 layers of 40 years ago)
(From behind the Armco -- now with catch fencing atop it).
In memorium: Here is some video footage from that day at the Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix, Watkins Glen, NY - October 6, 1973 (Note: The link will take you away from this page to view the video on YouTube):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4bO74WE5Ak












That is so beautiful Connie.
ReplyDeleteVery emotional & deep - as if it was yesterday.
True the skies were grey, as a sign of mourning. The accident you describe is incredible. Reading & reading again all books & even the latest release by Francois's sister, Jacqueline & the former l'Equipe motor journalist Johnny Rives, the spot was one most difficult of the track to negotiate
Thank you for taking the time to express & share your feelings & the difficult visit. Francois is still alive among us
Sincerely,
Steve Atiyeh, Montreal
Thank you for your comments, Steve! I look forward to finding and reading Cevert's sister's book. I hope it might be available soon in English?
DeleteI was a teenager but I have remembered it all my life ... You brought tears in my eyes with your description and photos...Thanks so much....I'm from São Paulo, Brazil.
ReplyDeleteOh, Mary. Thank you so much for your kind words. Francois seems to have touched so many people. I hope it is even a small bit of comfort to know how well he is thought of, and remembered, in Watkins Glen.
DeleteAs someone who has left flowers for Francois Cevert at Watkins Glen myself, I wanted to thank you for this.
ReplyDeleteFor me, it was a small black and white photograph of him in a book on the history of Formula 1 that pulled me in. It wasn’t just the handsome face, it was those eyes—even in that rather small picture, they jumped out on the page. It was only after reading about him and talking to people who had been fortunate enough to know him that I realized that in his case, his eyes truly were a reflection of his soul—everyone to whom I ever spoke who had encountered him at one time or another told me the same thing—he was a genuinely kind person whose smile would light up a room.
I became interested in racing not because of him, but in spite of what had so tragically happened to him on that hill that October day. I spent many happy weekends volunteering at the Glen. For several years, I’d always be sure to make the pilgrimage on October 6. I’ve since moved to another state, and so, over the years, I’ve been unable to pay a tribute to him as I would wish. So, thank you for remembering him with your flowers, and, judging from your photos, it looks like you found the right spot.
Once in a while, for certain events, we would camp at the track; there were a few times, my friend and I would go for a walk in the darkness out to the spot and just stand there, paying our respects not only to him, but to the track for which he must have had a particular fondness. Contrary to what one might think, I never got anything but a sense of peace being there.
Thank you, C.A. I enjoyed reading your description of doing the same thing. It's just so tragic that some of these racers have paid the ultimate sacrifice -- in the name of sport and doing what they love to do and we love to watch. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, to be honest. Guilt comes to mind...
DeleteFor more comments/remembrances, etc. see my Facebook page where the link for this blog post was posted and also on one of the Francois Cevert Facebook pages.
ReplyDeleteMy FB: https://www.facebook.com/connieannkirkphd
Francois Cevert FB: https://www.facebook.com/FrancoisCevert
Dear Connie,
ReplyDeleteIt was so nice reading your article and to know that you were able to leave some flowers and pay your respects to Francois. I too made the journey from the UK earlier in the year but was not so fortunate.
I moved to Silverstone village in 1972 at the age of 9 and naturally became enthralled by the excitement and glamour of motor racing especially Formula One. In those days of course you could chat to the drivers and mechanics who often came down into the village for lunch in the local pub.
I can still recall the shock of reading the tiny headline hastily added several pages into the Sunday news paper reporting "Stewart's number 2 killed". Just a few lines stated that Francois' Tyrrell had gone over the barrier after he lost control at the esses and overturned. A black and white photo showing his overturned Tyrrell appeared in the paper the next day along with the race report. I was just 10 and Francois' accident really hit me.
Francois has popped into my mind on random occasions every year since that day and as I grew older I felt an increasing need to visit the esses to pay my respects and close the door that has been ajar for 40 years.
Finally in April 2013 the opportunity arose. My family and I planned a holiday to Niagara falls and New York city. I convinced my family that we should drive between the two locations so that we could detour to the Glen and they kindly agreed.
I contacted Watkins Glen International who kindly offered to show me around even though the circuit would not be officially open provided I made contact with them one week before arrival. So we booked flights, hire car and hotels and informed Watkins Glen International of our travel arrangements. On leaving London I bought gifts for the staff in anticipation of their help.
While in Canada I contacted Watkins Glen International by email and phone but received no reply. I naively assumed they must be on holiday but since I knew the office and shop were in town I presumed we could sort things out there.
We had a beautiful drive into Watkins Glen along side Seneca lake and past the amazing Glen Motor Inn. The sun was shining, the leaves were coming out and the whole atmosphere felt very special. Unfortunately on arrival we found the Glen office and
shop were closed.
The following morning I left the family at the hotel and set off anxiously for the circuit. Emotions and nerves were sky high when I arrived at gate 2. The security barrier was open but there was no sign of life. In hindsight I should have thrown caution to the wind and driven straight through but I politely parked and entered the security office.
I explained to the security guard that I was on a pilgrimage all the way from the UK and I wished to visit the esses to pay my respects to Francois. His simple response was "nope". I reiterated the reason for my visit, that it had taken me 40 years and 300 miles to get to this point and I had been in communication with Watkins Glen International about the visit but the reply was again "nope".
Thinking on my feet I suggested a number of potential solutions to the problem like calling someone who could authorize my entry, someone escorting me to the esses, leaving something with him as security but every suggestion was met with "nope". There was absolutely zero understanding, help or compassion. What harm could I possibly do ? The circuit facilities were purely open for fire marshall training, no cars were circulating.
From the gate I could see the esses winding their way up hill just 300 yards away and the sense of helplessness and frustration was just overwhelming.
On returning to the UK I contacted Watkins Glen International via email and the web site but no reply has been forthcoming. It is unlikely I will have the opportunity to visit the Glen again.
Rest in peace Francois, you still pop into my mind and hopefully one day I can pay my respects to you in France.
Warmest regards to you Connie
Aaron
Oh, Aaron -- Thank you so much for commenting on the blog post and for your interest.
DeleteI am SO sorry to hear of what happened to you at the Glen. I can't imagine the people who could give you access that day would not have tried to accommodate you in some way if they had known you were there. (I suspect the security person was just doing his/her job). However, it is odd that no one was in the office even though they were supposedly expecting you, or that another date had not been pre-arranged for your visit if they knew they'd be away. Sometimes if there is something going on at a related track, many of them go out of the office to an event like that. That's the only thing I can imagine may have happened as to why no one seemed to be around.
There is also a *wonderful* racing archives library downtown where you might have inquired about your contacts' whereabouts, tried to contact them, etc. So sorry this happened to you. The Glen is a small town, and usually people are very nice there.
Mr. Cevert's story resonates with so many people. I can only imagine how helpless you felt to come so far after so many years, to be able see the esses right there above you, and still not be able to make it quite there to pay your respects. So sad.
Next time I'm at the track (which may be next season now, since I think it just had its last public event last weekend), I will go over to the esses, touch the grass there, and whisper for you, "Aaron says 'hello.'" In the meantime, perhaps if you ever do go to the grave in France, maybe you can do the same for me?
Warm wishes, and thanks again for sharing your story with me & anyone who happens to drop by and read this. I know you said it's doubtful, but maybe one day you will find yourself out this way again....one never knows. If so, please feel free to contact me through the blog, and I will try to help.
~Connie
Dear Connie,
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for taking the time to reply and for the very thoughtful offer to visit the esses on my behalf. That would be very much appreciated and I will do the same for you if I get the opportunity to visit Francois' resting place at Vaudelnay, France.
Should I be lucky enough to visit the Glen again I will certainly contact you.
Warmest regards
Aaron
Connie, thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts.
ReplyDeleteIt is a very moving piece, I admire your thoughtfulness.
I have no doubt that Francois will be very proud of your touching tribute.
Jean-Luc
Melbourne (Australia)
Dear Jean-Luc,
DeleteThank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to write a comment. It was my privilege to remember Mr. Cevert at Watkins Glen.
It remains a mystery to me why racers, both professional and amateur, risk so much to do what they do. This is one of the questions I am exploring in my research. I also accept responsibility, however, for watching. What makes me, and so many of us, like to watch human beings go fast, as well?
Such ponderings for a writer!
Thank you again, and Happy New Year to you!
~Connie
Connie.....the Youtube footage is a recreation, there is very little genuine film from the event. I was there, 18 years old with my older brother. You can check this link for a story that I wrote for Sports Car Digest. http://www.sportscardigest.com/1973-united-states-grand-prix-race-profile/ There was a Facebook group that organized a Memorial Day for 10/6/13 including placing a statue on the spot but it never came off. I was looking forward to going and bringing my tickets, program, and photos from the event and sharing it with everyone, very disappointing that it didn't happen and I'm a bit to far away to make the drive without an event. Glad you were there and put some flowers down.
ReplyDeleteHello, Rich Martin -- Thank you for your comments. Just clicked over and read your good story about the '73 USGP at SPORTS CAR DIGEST. Terrific photos there, too. Thank you for sharing your memories.
DeleteI don't know anything about the YouTube tribute video, to be honest, other than what it claims/claimed to be.
Hadn't heard about the FB group, but I did hear rumblings around Watkins Glen off and on throughout 2013 about wishes for some kind of memorial that others, like us, were sad to hear did not happen, for whatever reason.
Thanks, again, for sharing your memories with me, and for linking them here so others can read them, too.
You're Welcome! I've been back to the Glen perhaps 35-40 times since October 1973 and almost every time I enter the circuit, just before you go under the track I look up at the spot of the accident. Its almost ingrained in me to do so, as is the spot that Helmuth Koenigg lost his life one year later. Just seems like the event sticks with you no matter how much time has passed.........Rich
DeleteHi, Rich -- Oh, I can absolutely see why that would be the case! You'd never forget being there when such a tragedy occurred. Quite haunting, I should think. If I have a chance and access to the track that day, I would like to find/visit Mr. Koinigg's tragic spot this year on the same date (as it happens) down at the boot. Heard stories about his accident from observers last year who were there, too, and that incident sounds horrific, to say the least.
ReplyDeleteThanks, again. Thankfully, people have many good memories of The Glen as well, and are still making them today (well not today, exactly -- pretty snowy in these parts at the moment!).
Thank you for your beautiful words , and your flowers . Perhaps , one day , me too !...
ReplyDeleteI saw François in 1972 and 73 at Pau , Françe for the Grand prix de Pau ( GP2 )
Bonne journée Connie
Thierry
Paris - Françe
You're very welcome, Thierry! Thank you for your kindness in writing a comment here. I continue to be amazed at the longevity of Mr. Cevert's effect on people. I hope one day you will make it to the States and Watkins Glen. It is a beautiful area just on its own, and of course, the racers back then loved it, and racers today continue to enjoy it. You are so lucky that you got to see Francois race in person.
DeleteBest wishes,
~Connie